On June 13, these famous twins turned 35. Although they may always be known as the adorable Michelle Tanner on Full House, Mary-Kate and Ashley have worn uncountable iconic looks that have made them heavyweights in the style game. After all, they do have an RTW fashion line (The Row) so these ladies are experts on the topic of fashion. From adorable matching childhood looks to dramatic high fashion ensembles, they never fail to surprise us. Let’s celebrate their best looks over the years.
1. Though they had some swoon-worthy fashionista looks, we have to give a shoutout to childhood Mary Kate and Ashley, who were giving us major 90s queen vibes with these sunny yellow and black ensembles. Here, the twins are wearing flower topped hats with yellow collared shirts and matching black dresses.
2. We’re not sure if we’ve ever seen anything more 90s than these red and blue matching outfits, complete with Eastern inspired floral print, velvet, and of course, lace spaghetti straps that coordinate with their hair barrettes.
3. In 1998, these young queens rocked a coordinated blue and brown satin suit jackets with simple trousers and matching up-dos. They were channelling some serious boss babe vibes here, and look very pulled together — especially for a time that was sometimes a little weird for fashion.
4. Here, Instead of matching, the twins decided to smartly coordinate, looking very grown up in this suit set. This was worn to the Hollywood premiere of Anna and the King in 1991, at the Mann’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood. They were 13 years old, wearing strappy sandals, fringed maxi skirts, and black cardigans.
5. For the Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle premiere in 2003, they boldly decided to do totally different looks, which was a stark departure from the matched or coordinated looks of outfits past. One sister wore a caftan style, printed red maxi dress with a thick belt, while the other wore a halter top floral print dress and a choker.
6. Brown isn’t always the easiest color to pull off, and these two nailed it with ease when they showed up at the Tribeca Film Festival for their movie “New York Minute” in 2004. Here, Ashley went with a chic, minimalist brow dress made of silk, while her sister wore a sleeveless polka dot dress with pink pumps as a pop of color.
7. This look is so early 2000s, in the best way possible. From the tousled waves to that skinny pink belt and gold strapless dress, it might be dated, but they rocked it oh-so-well for that era. You can tell they’re trying to be more independent in style, since one of the twins has gone brunette in this period.
8. Remember when sheer, flowy tops with faded jeans were a thing? That’s pretty much because of the twins, who wore that style with iconic Western belts. Shortly after, millions of girls around the world followed suit. TBH, we would still wear this. Fashion inspiration for days.
9. Both siblings wore what started to become their signature style. Angelic neutrals and pastels with long, sleek lines and artful skin-baring. And thus was back in 2004! This was when they received their Hollywood Walk of Fame star. Mary-Kate opted for a lavender halter dress, while her sister went with a white, v-neck gown and a more dressed-up up-do.
10. After 2010, these sisters really started to experiment with avant-garde fashion looks. Here they’re wearing black gowns to the 2015 Met Gala. Both featured sweeping black trains and were vintage Dior by John Galliano. We’re obsessed with that fur labelled piece!
11. This was a start departure from the girls’ feminine, figure-fitting outfits worn in years before. This was at the 2017 CFDA Fashion Awards when the twins were nominated for Women’s wear Designer of the Year and Accessories Designer of the Year.
12. This look screamed drama, and is one of our favorites. Wearing dominatrix black leather, these monochromatic masters wore trailing skirts detailed by simple brass buttons. Check out that insane thigh high boot peeking out, as well!
13. If two people know how to wear all black like it’s their second nature, it’s Mary Kate and Ashley Olson. These looks are both so wearable, but we really love that statement leather belt over a floor length trench and fitted ankle boots.
14. This is another Met Gala look from the girls, but completely different from the last one. They went the opposite of the all-black-everything route, instead wearing intricate lace looks with playful colorful accessories. That green fun collared jacket is unforgettable!
15. No matter what season it is, you really can’t go wrong with a slouchy turtleneck and a maxi skirt. That’s exactly what Ashley and Mary Kate wore to this event. Billowing, coordinated neutral tops and subtly pleated skirts, with dangling earrings to balance the outfit out.